First, thank you to all who have been teaching me with your experiences on this thread! I am so much further ahead from reading the things you all are sharing. smile

We have our "visual processing" testing on Friday. Not looking forward to that. I have been on the phone examining our options. As I'm concerned about "fit" with the staff and distance. We travel a good 45min to get there.

The place I mentioned previously in this post that is a rehab hospital which offers vision therapy DOES work directly under the supervision of a Neuro-optometrist who is an associate of the COVD. Ironically her office is within walking distance of my home (!!) and I am rather impressed with her from speaking to her and reading her website. She has forms online for allowing her to speak with school about vision issues and allowing her to advocate as needed (!).

She also has good articles and links on her site including one to a neuro-psychiatrist who does some of the specialized things we were seeking when we flew out of state to get my son assessed earlier this year. Very holistic approach to all of it. She even recommended a book and a local psychologist who does neuro-feedback to check out.

She tells me that many insurers honor her as "in network" because the gap in mileage between her clients and the nearest in network providers. The Optometrist we've been seeing is 0.59 miles past the range most require to allow that exception.

I didn't find her at the COVD website because her location had not been updated to include the office near my house and the other location is extremely far. I never would have known she was there if I hadn't spoken with the Rehab people and asked for the name of the Doc they worked with. WOW!

I think the new plan is to finish testing on Friday as previously arranged and bring the results to discuss with her filling any testing gaps she may find and then setting up therapy at the newly discovered local place. I feel rather excited after talking with her. She was very accessible and helpful as well as very connected to the approach to medicine and therapy that I espouse. I am cautiously optimistic that we have found a great fit.

Has anyone else had their optometrist work directly with school? How was that or would that have been helpful?

Last edited by HappilyMom; 05/21/13 01:58 PM.