[quote=Nerdnproudshe'd just like to be 'one of many').[/quote]

It sounds like your dd is feeling socially isolated. I don't know if this would be helpful at all, but as you are trying to find ways to help your dd see the positives in being gifted, another thing you might do (which has *nothing* at all to do with your dd being intellectually gifted) - is to help her see the special and interesting things in the other kids she spends time with. I have a 2e ds, and there have been times in his life (and particularly at school) where he feels *very* very different and has a tough time seeing the "benefit" of any of it. His teachers have always tried to emphasize how alike he is and how "everyone" has something (both positive gifts and challenges) - there have been times I've felt his teachers just don't "get it" - yet in reality, it's helped him to see that while he's different, everyone truly is different in their own way. His way may be more challenging than some of the other kids, and his brains may dig deeper or see more complexly etc than the other kids, but at the end of the day - those other kids do have something to offer and having a high IQ isn't the only "gift" out there.

I'm not sure how old your dd is, but if she's in early elementary, I might try to approach the issue by doing the same thing I'd do with any of my children if they were lonely and having a tough time finding friends - get her involved in something after school that focuses on a non-academic activity she enjoys, or arrange for playdates with a few of the other kids from her class. If she's older, it's a little trickier but there are still things you could do to try to help her meet new friends, and help her take the focus off of "her".

The other thing that focusing on a non-academic activity can help with is taking the pressure off of feeling like she "has" to be gifted or has to be a certain way because she's smart - I'm not explaining it very well, and it might not be an issue for your dd, but sometimes high ability kids just want to be kids, yet they feel there's an expectation on them from parents and teachers because they are smart.

Best wishes,

polarbear