Originally Posted by squishys
That's your opinion. My opinion is that it does provide a guarantee.

To disagree might suggest we have different definitions of a "good" childhood.

I'll bite next.

On the basis of what data could you possibly make such a claim (that, "given" - my scare quotes - a "good" - yours - childhood, and giftedness, success is guaranteed)?

I suggest (a) that you are

- very likely to be falling foul of No True Scotsman (if someone isn't, in your eyes, successful, you then identify a way in which their childhood was not good, in order to rule them out)

- very unlikely to have remotely sufficient data (even if we allow that you can tell whether a given adult is successful or not, you don't typically know either whether they have been labelled gifted or whether they had a "good" childhood, and even if the group of people for whom you do know both is somehow large, I can't conceive of the life you could lead that would make it sufficiently diverse to justify a claim of a "guarantee");

(b) that you don't "give" a child a childhood; a child is a participant in the process that builds their childhood. Could it be that children who are able (both from who they are and from the situation they are born into) to build good childhoods are more likely than average to be successful adults? Of course. Is that anything to do with giftedness? Unlikely. Is it a guarantee? Of course not.

Who me, argumentative? Count it as another plus of being gifted ;-)

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail