Originally Posted by master of none
That's the direction we went with this. Did not attempt to convince her that it was good or better than the alternative. Instead, agreed that it's true that the world is made for the majority and anywhere you are different from the majority, it can create challenges. I couple that with everyone is given "gifts" (I don't use that word-I use characteristics) and it's their job in life to figure out how best to fit them together to do what they need/want to in creating their own path for life.

Thinking about and learning about things before they are taught is just a part of her. And I add that school doesn't teach all there is to learn, though sometimes it looks that way. So feel free to learn other things too, and use school as a place to get ideas. And just remember to dream and follow that dream.

I could go on and on, but it just strikes me as odd to defend to a child why a characteristic that concerns them is actually positive rather than having them work through what is bothering them and helping them to learn how to work with what they are given. Maybe it's my prior life in working with the disabled, but I sort of approach it the same way.

Strongly agree with MON. We do not pose "gifted" as "great"-- we pose it as a what-is thing, like having brown eyes or being right-handed. (And we avoid the word as well; it's just loaded.)

Everybody has been dealt a particular body and brain, and they work with what they have. Some features are typical, some are unusual; it is good to appreciate and know about what you have to work with and use it to improve the world and the lives of the people around you.

Surely your DD can think of some ways she can do that. It's not about the features, it's about the doing.

DeeDee