I also feel I should mention that DD was placed in the full time gifted spot in error. She, like your son, only met 3 of the criteria. She was performing spectacularly in the full time program. High A's across the board with no effort at all and her teacher was the one to suggest additional subject acceleration before the first quarter was even over. For many reasons we ended up leaving the full time program at the end of the first quarter and moved DD back to her previous school. I found out a couple of months after she left the full time program that they had discovered the placement error shortly before we left and were getting ready to ship DD back to a regular class with once a week pull-out. That's right, they were going to put DD who clearly was doing great in a full time program and needed additional challenge even in that environment in a regular 2nd grade class.

My point is that the school district doesn't care if the full time program is a better fit or whether or not the child is doing well in it. All they care about is their placement criteria. I'm sorry, but I seriously doubt they will even consider a trial full time placement for your son.