Originally Posted by Diamondblue
These results were followed by this recommendation:
*Regular elementary class supplemented with gifted resource room one full day per week. Other options were rejected because they provided an environment that is too restrictive.

I think you'll ultimately need/want more than the one-day-per-week gifted pullout can provide, so I'd advocate for a full-time gifted program if one exists in your school district. If it doesn't, I'd look into any other options you can find - different district if possible, private, homeschool.

For the upcoming IEP meeting, I'd ask what is specifically meant by "other options rejected because they provided an environment that is too restrictive." Ask what those other options were - if one of them sounds like a good option to you, request it. The IEP decisions are supposed to be made by the IEP team - what you have there is a *recommendation* - not the final decision.

I would also ask for clarification re what is meant by "too restrictive" - I suspect that they are referring to doing their best to having him placed in a regular ed classroom, but you can also view "restrictive" from the point of view re is his placement allowing him to fully show his knowledge or is it restrictive in that he's not able to learn at his ability level? Or possibly he's not going to be learning anything new at all.

I'm not in FL, so I don't know the nitty-gritty details re how this plays out in your area, but my last piece of advice is to go to the meeting, listen, ask questions, take notes. Don't sign anything that you aren't ready to sign and comfortable signing. Remember this is just a first step, not a final step.

Let us know how your meeting goes -

polarbear