Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
Fair warning-- not all science teachers in high schools are thrilled with kids that already "know" what they are teaching, either. You'd think they'd be thrilled to have a kid that INTERESTED, but it isn't always the case.

(Witness exhibit A, my DD's biology teacher. {sigh} )

I'm not sure that the answer is "you stop that scholarly activity right this instant, young lady-- what are you trying to do?? RUIN YOURSELF for high school chemistry?"

In any case, though, be aware that this is not necessarily a problem that gets better with time.

Of course, DD can hide what she does on the side that much better now that she's 13 and not 7. So there is that.

That is a terrible attitude for a teacher.

So far my ds has had teachers excited to have him. When we got the skip the Honors Bio teacher said, "I was a little leery of a middle schooler keeping up but what a great fit and good work getting it done!" The head of the dept is looking forward to having him in her class next year. OTH, She is the teacher that said is his age should not be a factor in placement to begin.

Thankfully my DS has done just as well as I expected him to do. Hopefully he has paved the road for others in the future in district.