DeHe, I don't have a great answer for you, but fwiw, our ds is also very into science, was way ahead of grade level in what he was interested in and able to absorb in science way back in early elementary. We did not have an option for acceleration in science in elementary school, so we just simply didn't even think about it. The way it played out for our ds worked overall. He was bored in class with the pace and depth of the discussions, but he was interested in most of the subjects that were taught in science, so he had things to think about in his own head even if he didn't have class discussion to support the level of his thinking. At home, we ignored what was being taught in science at school and just let ds do his own thing - which, back then, was mostly watching videos about science and reading reading *reading* books. We supplied him with tons of science books at advanced reading levels and he devoured them and would then later toss out questions at us for discussion, or more often, toss out thoughts he'd come up with re science concepts. It probably helped that dh and I are both scientists so we had some great discussions! But we never spent a minute worrying about acceleration at school. Now that he is in middle school and has the opportunity, he's accelerated in science at school and he also takes classes online for fun (for him) and also to give him the option to accelerate further once he's in high school.

DS was asked a question (which he answered correctly) was then sent home with instructions to do an experiment to test it. So we had fun, expanded it, tested multiple ways, wrote it up in his personal lab book, then did some research. It was a nice learning experience for DS. Then goes to school - reports findings - teacher has him present to class - THEN THEY DO THE EXACT SAME EXPERIMENT - and they did it for 3 more days.

FWIW, my ds has done this in school on occasion. While you of course don't want your ds doing the exact same thing repeatedly, especially for HG/+ kids who absorb and learn the first time around - I don't see science experiments presenting as a repetition trap in the same way that assigning the same math problem too many times presents redundancy. Data obtained from a science experiment rarely comes out exactly the same even when you're doing the same experiment - that's one of the fun and educational things about doing an experiment in a class with multiple groups of students, and that's one of the reasons that in real life - scientists repeat experiments to test a theory. While it's not ideal to be stuck without something new being taught - I wouldn't necessarily think that time repeating a lab is necessarily time wasted for a kid who's thinking like a scientist - he's still in the lab, still able to ponder the what-ifs or alter the experiment in slight ways to see how the results change etc.

One thing you could consider (we considered briefly) is asking the school if your ds could take an online science course through one of the talent searches or another accredited program during science class at school as a way of offering him accelerated and faster-paced curriculum. The other thing I'd consider at this point in the year is just waiting until next year and start fresh with a new teacher.

Best wishes,

polarbear