Originally Posted by raptor_dad
Originally Posted by doubtfulguest
[quote=Old Dad]I think you'll find though that as parents you'll become better and better at finding work arounds, supplying information, and finding opportunities outside of the school day to enhance your child's learning and meeting their needs.

So, my take away is don't overestimate what advocacy can do. We had a good teacher but structurally she couldn't solve the problem. The school couldn't/wouldn't solve the problem. If you can't negotiate a solution it isn't necessarily your fault and you should find an approach that works for your kid.

I feel like there is a cult of positive thinking approach to advocacy and people need to be accept that sometimes you can't get what you need and have to move on to your least-worst option. That might be afterschooling, homechooling, just accepting the current situation, or something else. However it is unrealistic to imply that time and good intentions will solve all of these problems. Maybe its easier if you have a neurotypical, optimally gifted kid... but if your kid is either 2e or PG, or both, I think your are likely to hit insurmountable roadblocks in many school systems.

We've found both of these to be true -

polarbear