MON, he literally gets 45 mins of fourth grade math a week. During first grade math, he does what the class is doing. He doesn't take fourth grade tests. He gets one hw assignment a week. Math is an extremely fun passion for him. Science too. When he says it's a littlehard he means, "I've never seen that before." What the teacher sees is he doesn't know what a line segment is, therefore he isn't ready. We showed him what a line segment is. Now he knows it. The other issue for him is he is slow with computation. He is completely self motivated to spend 15 mins a day working on speeding.up his times tables. The plan to send him once a week to fourth grade was done to throw us a bone since we've been complaining that DS doesn't want to go to school anymore. There is a scheduling conflict for the other days of the week. Also, they were super concerned about his ability to fit in socially. The teacher says that he fits in beautifully. I am thinking now, that he's still got 6 weeks of school left. If he actually spent 5 days a week doing fourth grade math, he would be completely caught up by the end of the year. Does anyone else think that I should push for that? The school will not like pulling him out of first grade math while we send a tutor, but what other choice do we have? Finally, the actual problem here is that no one in the school has any gifted training or experience. They have never encountered a kid like this and have no idea what they are doing.

Last edited by eastcoast; 05/13/13 07:23 AM.