Originally Posted by Kai
Mastery is 95th percentile.

???

Confused by this-- do you mean that only the top 5% of a class is considered to have "mastered" the curriculum?

Just in general?

Or did you mean that an average assessment of 95% in terms of the curriculum expectations is considered "mastery"?

I was always under the impression that those were very different constructs. Pedagogically, a teacher aims for 95% mastery over the course of instruction with a class of students. Mastery being defined differently for different purposes, but in my own classes, "mastery" was a passing overall grade at the end of the marking period. 70% or higher. Now, personally, I tend to think that this is stretching the truth a bit and that true mastery is more like 85-90% (B-A range and up) competence with the material being evaluated. But that's just me.

In any event, if a person has truly got "mastery" then there seems little point in having him/her be "instructed" further in that material.

I do agree with the idea to get away from EveryDay Math, if possible. It's nasty, that curriculum.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.