Well personally, I don't like lying...benign or not. It sets an example for your child that it is okay to lie to get what they want or need. If people really aren't going to be flexible about such a minor thing...fine. Go read to him yourself, or invent your own story time with friends. If it is a big thing in the future that matters, advocate, pave the road for others behind, brings reasons forward while it is okay.

And really, for as advanced as your child may be, reading or otherwise...kids love stories, and being read to around other kids. Regardless of age level. I mean my Ds5 is now reading fifth grade books, but he still loves his beginner readers. Those stories, rhymes, and humor still get to him at some level of enjoyment. Just because he can enjoy much higher level reading, doesn't mean he always has too. If he has the full range of possibilities he won't get too board in a once a week setting.

But you child will pick up that is it okay to lie...and that is a slippery slope, imo.