I actually tend to agree with phey. I like to think that intelligence is more nurture than nature. I like to believe that everyone has great potential. I encourage my DD5 to be curious, to try hard and to think hard. I tell her she becomes smarter this way.

Phey, I think it's perfectly fine for your son to work at any level he's comfortable with. My DD5 also works far ahead. I actually don't teach her much, but let her discover and learn by herself as much as possible. But it can be tricky to provide the right environment and guidance that facilitate the learning and discovery.

I'm also always puzzled about how much to push the child while keeping the child interested in the subject. When my DD gets stuck and frustrated at a difficult problem, I sometimes wonder whether it's better to give up for the day, or encourage her to try harder. If she tries harder and succeeds, then it becomes a great positive experience. But if she is just too tired to think, then trying harder won't help and it can become a negative experience.