First, I don't mean to imply that it is all nurture. But after reading those books, I'd put more into nurture than I would have before. I know a lot of it is nature...my boy was alert at day one, and always just naturally keyed into things.

My thoughts about the Chinese came solely from the Tiger Mother book. While she was a Chinese immigrant, her own statements about the Chinese way of raising children is the only place I took my thinking from. I don't know about the Chinese in general. I don't think of them as generally superior in creativity. But in America, the Chinese-Americans they do have a disproportionate representation in musical prodigies and math competitions...etc. So there is something to their method.

I guess the question I'm trying to figure out right now is--Is it okay to teach my son (5 yrs-just started home school this January) three grades levels ahead...I feel a bit strange about it. I worry about the future... I know I shouldn't worry about what others think. I should just pace him where he is. But I am scared of the consequences.

And perfect balance--well that is what I am so desperately trying to achieve, between not pushing too hard and challenging enough.