Originally Posted by master of none
Instead, I'd teach dd to check her work. Tell her she must bring it home so she can check it.

This is what we asked the teacher for. I figured we better double check her work for 1. to make sure she is understanding 2. to be able to know better what scores she is receiving for her work done compared to her behaviors in class and 3. at this point if she doesn't do well on her assignments for the rest of the quarter she won't be able to bring her grade up by the end. #3 may seem a bit off because I do believe if she does C work she deserves a C, but then as a protective mother I struggle with knowing she is having issues in this class partly due to reasons she has no control of.

Originally Posted by master of none
IMO, you'll need to find a creative solution here, and the longer it is thought to be your dd "not paying attention" vs your dd needing to teach herself to focus on pertinent points, the worse it will get.

Sounds like a very difficult situation where your dd is not respected and needs to tune out in self defense.

After I asked for DD's work to be brought home I received a reply from the teacher saying she would send home the homework on the more "difficult concepts" but not anything else. Now I feel even more sure that this teacher is trying to maintain her control of the situation and we need to get this issue resolved very quickly!!