My son got three frowny faces in about a week and a half. He's had smiley faces all year. The first time he had to write a half a page of sentences. The second time he had to write an apology letter. The third time he got grounded to his room for four hours. That consequence has happened once before, it's the "big mess up" punishment. Three times of not listening to your teacher is "big messing up" in my opinion. The teacher said it was because the kids were on vacation mode early for the hollidays. I said, well, he has to behave at school if he wants to go. I asked him what he did. I asked him what he goes to school for. He knows. You go to school to learn stuff, make me proud, have fun, and behave. He said, "but I was having fun and forgot to behave." I said, "well, that's a big part if it. You have to behave at school."
I guess that's different because it has nothing to do with grades, it's only the first year of school, and it's very obvious that the teacher really loves and cares about the kids.

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar