Ok ... what is PDD-NOS? smirk

For ADD and ADHD - he's been screened several times by different evaluators - two neuropsychs (although the last I didn't trust his results at all for any of the tests), a psychiatrist, a psychologist and the school diagnostician. He doesn't score high enough on any of the screening tests to indicate it - and I'd agree.

For the ASD, he doesn't have a couple of the major traits - he has a lot of friends, is a leader, has a strong sense of humor and a couple of the other traits. At the moment I forget which ones. The traits he does have, he has to a pretty strong degree - he will still go to the nurse thinking he is sick and not associating his headache, stomach ache, etc. with anxiety over the test he just took or the problem he just had with a teacher chewing him out for something. He is very literal. Very. He doesn't judge space correctly - always in my way when we're walking, etc. Doesn't always read social cues or pick up on them.

So thus far, the psychiatrist wrote a letter to the evaluation team at the school saying he was being followed for an eventual diagnosis which might include ... and then he threw the gamut of possible diagnoses in the list so that they could use the letter to allow for behavioral modifications in his IEP. But this doctor deals with a lot of autism and gifted kids and says he thinks my son's is more related to his high IQ (which has yet to be detected on a standard test but is very obvious) than to autism. His advice is that if we can get accommodations, there is no need to put a label too soon.

Then again, his comments about whether it is or is not ASD didn't ring quite right, so I'm just in a big bowl of muddle soup. smile