We are right there with you. Allergies are so frightening, and unfortunately they limit a child's activities. For me they helped in my decision to home school. I have no doubt that my five year old would socially love school, but at this age, for my sanity and his overall safety, we feel better keeping him out of school. Besides the fact that academically he is grades ahead, my biggest concern is his safety. When a point comes that I can 100% count on him to make appropriate food choices and see all cross contact safety issues, then we will look at other school options. I just hope he still loves HS then and we can continue on instead of subjecting him to the crazy social life of middle school. For me though, the peace of mind is much bigger than his need for daily social interaction. We play with friends lots, have people to our house so we know it's safe, and TONS of communication to others about the concerns and risks. Even with all that you never feel perfectly safe, and it's hard. You wish you could just keep them in a bubble and protect them forever...but, it is a hard balance. Personally, I would say at this age, it is better to protect, error on the side of safety. But, I personally have a hard time trusting others to recognize a reaction in time, or to recognize a threat. It is just as reality, as no fun as it is. Your life has to revolve around it. Yes you give them the most normal life possible, but foremost you provide a safe envirionment. I realize I am often in the minority...my friends with food allergy kids are moire relaxed and trusting of others... But their kids have had episodes because of it, and I personally hate that risk. Sorry for that scattered thoughts,..but you are not alone. Sometimes it scatters your brain;). It's a very hard balancing act...social vs safety and peace of mind. I don't have an answer, I can only do my best.