Originally Posted by ColinsMum
Originally Posted by aquinas
We don't have a TV. [...]Our son is only 15 months old, so we still have yet to reach an age where pop culture is social currency. I can see us watching live sporting events as a family as he gets older, introducing a classic cartoon or two, and expanding into more educational programming as his maturity allows.
I could have written this whole post when our son was that age, changing a few of the titles/genres (I'm British so we don't have britcom :-) We thought there might come a time when we needed to get a TV so that DS-now-9 wouldn't be left out, but it hasn't been an issue and he doesn't want one. There's always YouTube if he wants to have a quick look to see what someone's talking about. We have quite a DVD collection now and e.g. he and DH have started a habit of sitting down together to watch a Dastardly and Muttley episode at the weekend. ("You look after his maths, I'll look after his cultural education"!)

When DS was younger he used to loooove certain children's DVDs and we used to limit by having certain times of day when watching was an option and others when it wasn't. These days, it's computer screen time that needs limiting, but it's never felt difficult to negotiate (yet, I should say...)

Love your husband's cheekiness! I can see screen time being the bigger constraint down the road. Frankly, with the Internet, TV is dead.

What is to give light must endure burning.