When my son was in kindergarten he couldn't get OT for his fine motor disability because he was not failing. He couldn't get an appropriate education unless you believe coloring "letter people" instead of being allowed to read the 5th grade level books he was capable of reading is an appropriate education.

I contacted our state department of education and was told it would not do any good to complain. I was told that our state laws would have to be changed before they would be required to provide OT and an appropriate education for a child like mine. The person I talked to in our state's gifted ed department, as well as the school principal, the superintendent, and a teacher who had gifted sons all told me that I would either have to do private school which we couldn't afford or homeschool. I sent emails to our state's disability law center and didn't even get a reply. It was the same thing with my state's superintendent of public schools. No reply. I gave up after that. I didn't know what else to do.

We had asked for an IEP meeting after homeschooling for a year and with test results in hand. My husband and I met with the school psychologist because we were considering putting our son back in school but the school psychologist recommended continuing homeschooling. He said there was nothing they could really do for a kid like mine in their small town school.

We could not afford to hire a lawyer and my dad did not want me to fight the school.

Sometimes I think I should have complained more, fought harder, but I was having trouble with anxiety and high blood pressure because of serious family health issues and I just could not do any more at the time.