Our public school district has a very strict policy of limiting nightly homework. It's actually really dumb, IMHO. We are in a very high-powered school district, and I think most of us just after-school as needed.
For up until 3rd grade, they are limited to like 10 minutes of homework a night, which includes reading! (I have my kids read at least 30 minutes or more a night).
And there is no wiggle room either! My 4th grader is hearing impaired and it takes him a little longer than the other kids to learn spelling and vocab words, due to that disability. We get like 30-40 spelling words (and they are finally sort of difficult) Monday or Tuesday night for Friday, which for him, is alot.
So I asked the teacher- could we get the words on Friday to work on them at home over the weekend? he's hearing impaired and it's a more difficult task for him.
She said, No! That violates the district policy!
I thought- gee, I'm asking if we can do extra homework to help him, not do less homework. I'm trying to see if we can amend his IEP for this. The homework they have had from school, up until this Gifted program in 4th grade, has been dumb and easy.