Originally Posted by fwtxmom
The most direct but not cheapest or easiest way to address this would be to get some achievement testing. If your DD tests well in math then she is not the problem and you can focus on whatever the real problem might be. I have my suspicions based on your post!

BTW we have started EM at our school this year and I think it's a ridiculous way to teach math. Some people love it though. As my 6th grade DS11 griped yesterday when I asked him to explain what he dislikes about math this year he said "In 2nd grade we learned 3rd grade math; in 3rd grade we did 4th grade math; in 4th we did 5th grade math; in 5th we did 6th grade math. Now in 6th we are doing FOURTH grade math!"

FWIW he is great at math, tested at the top of his class last year on the school math standardized tests and the teacher did not identify him for the math team. Teachers are not always good judges of kids' ability.

Not sure if we will get the achievement testing done. Dh is hesitant to spend the money only to have the school ignore that data as well.