Oh, I obsessively read Susan Cooper, Tolkein and Madeleine L'Engle. I just wasn't that into sci fi, though. Never really 'got' the Hitchhiker's Guide (published in my teens-- I liked the radio play, just not the books), which my DD is obsessive about. I did not do much RPG as a teen. I can't say that my activities would necessarily count as 'productive' during those years, either, and in retrospect I think that RPG would have been an infinitely better/safer/more appropriate activity. :ahem: So considering some of the alternatives, there are worse things.

DD's version of fantasy literature is really distinct from mine, though we both like the genre a lot. Mine is time-slip memes and paranormal and hers is complete alternate worlds and sentient animals. By the way-- Doctor Who is a lurking obsession for pretty much anyone with this set of interests. Just noting that.

High fantasy lit is pretty sparse territory with kids until they are about 14yo; lots of dark stuff, lots of sexual content once you stray from Tolkein, Madeleine L'Engle (which is really more sci-fi, IMO), the obvious Harry Potter, and Susan Cooper.

Harry Potter is a VERY big deal at our house, so yes, I think that there is often a lot of overlap. I think that Hermione really sucks in GT girls once they see the first movie, but not always. DD is Fluer Delacour. wink All my friends say so. Hagrid's line in HP IV about her not being just some "fairy princess" just cracks me up. INDEED.

Some books that should grab kids just... don't. For whatever reason, or no particular reason at all. My DD, for example, should have really been obsessed by Redwall. Her response to it was instead, "Meh." Nothing else had the immersive, interactive play value of the Warriors books. Something about them is broadly appealing and very approachable for kids.

My DD did not read Watership Down until she was about ten, ultramarina. I, too, felt that the book would have exceeded her emotional readiness until then. She also didn't read Jonothan Livingston Seagull until about that time.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.