I realize this isn't the end of the world, but DD8 is obsessively reading and rereading the books in the Warriors/Seekers series by Erin Hunter and almost nothing else. These books are definitely below where she can read, although not vastly below it. I wouldn't think was a big deal except that at school, for some reason, this year's teacher seems to be putting low-level books on the free reading shelf (much easier than her 2nd-grade teacher's picks...???) and the books they are reading in class together are also easier than last year (again, ?) So I don't think there's any growth to speak of happening in terms of reading for her. This is all she read all summer as well, for the most part.

I don't like to make a big deal, or any deal at all, out of reading matter. So I'm not, other than attempting to strew other books in her path (these generally don't get read). Any thoughts, though? Perhaps some suggestions of similar books that would be a bit more challenging? I don't really know what is going on with the school thing. It seems like maybe this year is "about" math whereas last year they were doing more advanced in-class reading and writing. (It may be the class make-up. I know they pretested. She is at a gifted magnet.)

ETA: This happened to us once before when DD was in K and obsessed with, agh, Rainbow Fairies. She read every single one (70+). She hasn't managed to read every single Hunter book yet because there are a ton and they're very popular, but it won't be long. However, that was her only other series obsession.

Last edited by ultramarina; 10/03/12 05:45 AM.