Hi MamaLiz,

I live in Orange County Florida and my DS has done Internet Schooling from the beginning through K12.com and then through FLVS.net and I feel he was probably one of the first students in the country to be entirely educated through the Internet. We did everything as a home school student so that we didn't have to answer to the local school system or ask permission on any part of his education. Florida makes it very easy for home schooling and picks up the cost if you are using FLVS. I made another post concerning radical acceleration at: http://giftedissues.davidsongifted....one_do_a_3_5_year_grade_.html#Post119039

But the part of the topic that is relevant for you is the following:
..., we concentrated on provide him with a program where he could progress at his own rate not mine. We did home school (reading, writing, and arithmetic) till he was 7 and then started him in the 3rd grade with k12.com for a structured curriculum. He progressed through 6 years of k12.com in 4 years, taking all curriculum classes and supplementing with courses from EPGY and CTY. He started high school at Florida Virtual School (flvs.net) at age 11 as a home schooler and completed all courses required for college in 2 years (all honors and AP, except 2 years of Chinese language, with an A in every class). This was allowed because he was home schooled and not enrolled through the local school system. He began college at 13 (almost 14) this last August 2011 as an early enrollment student and this is where his social, academic, and martial arts life seem to merge.

As of August 2012, he had completed his first year of college with 47 hours credit (all paid for by the state through AP and Early Admissions), terminated home schooling as of Aug 2012, changed his status at the University to FTIC so that he could obtain financial aid through them plus obtained his Bright Futures Scholarship(so that the state can continue paying). At age 14 he is now a regular sophomore student at the local state university and will be a Junior at the end of this semester.

This would not have been possible if I had worked with the local school system. If he was in the Orange County School system, he would have just started the ninth grade! Even when getting enrolled at the university, I was told no one that young was allowed (there was a lawsuit going on last year in Florida about limiting dual enrollment students to minimum age 15 or 16), so we simply had the FLVS counselor submit a letter of recommendation along with all other required forms and it went through the bureaucracy no questions asked.

If you are able to have someone at home to support your DS (for support and ensuring he's actually doing the assignments) then I would highly recommend switching to home school status and ending your frustrations, IMHO.