No experience with K12.

I do have experience with FLVS/Connections, though.

Here's Connections' policy:

students MUST finish 80% of the year's curriculum in order to be promoted at the end of the school year, and

elementary students may work ahead and as long as they finish (and generally this is case-by-case and relies upon REALLY stellar marks along the way, which you have) before the curriculum drop-shipment deadline (in March sometime), corporate will ship out the next year's materials to the student.

Math is somewhat decoupled from the rest of the curriculum.

Gifted enrichment in Language Arts is taught via a synchronous instructional elective based on the Junior Great Books program, so that one CANNOT be accelerated. (But the rest certainly can.)

The short answer is hell yes, they will allow it. I also have a family member with a HG+ child who was with K12. They found it a royal pain in the neck sometimes from an administrative standpoint and eventually went with pure homeschooling, but I know for a fact that her DD (my... grand-neice?? Cousin once removed, I guess) moved through four grades in three years with them.

:snort: I'd like to see them figure out a way to STOP this, in point of fact.

Sounds like you have a teacher that hasn't ever seen/done this before now. Realize that truly HG+ kids are somewhat rare, but honestly, your DS' performance should say whatever needs covering on that score. Talk to the counselor, and talk to the principal/asst. principal. Find out where the decision-making is happening about this kind of placement change-- is it local control (my guess is yes, as this is how Connections does things, with LEA's contracting with the national coroporation for services, at least on paper, so the local school HAS to retain certain controls or it doesn't qualify as a state-run charter), or is it corporate? Or some combination? (In practical terms, this is often the case since PG kids' needs tend to raise red flags because of age/grade placement and rate disparities.)

If they give you TOO much pushback, you might want to give Connections a call (which is also an option for you in FL) and find out what THEY will do...

I'd use that as leverage with K12. Tell them that if they won't educate your child at his readiness level, then someone else WILL.

I'll bet they change their tune in a hurry.

Last edited by HowlerKarma; 09/17/12 10:35 AM. Reason: to add specific info about CA

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.