Oh my goodness...

Okay DS7 is a new 2nd grader who has been in public school for K and 1st. He is gifted-identified here in FL, and has a Gifted Education Plan (basically a gifted IEP). He has had essentially *no* accommodations thus far, aside from a 30-min/day pull-out enrichment program. At the start of the year, I requested a GEP update meeting, and requested subject accelerations in reading and math (supported by test scores). My requests were denied based on a subjective argument of "maturity," coupled with a firm "we just don't do that here." I pulled him out and placed him in K12 via our county's virtual instruction program. I chose it because of the ability for each student to work at his own pace.

DS has been working in K12 for 7 days (doing math online), and received the additional "boxed" materials 2 days ago. He has been doing *everything else* (history, science, language arts, PE) for 2 days.

In 7 days, he has done about 2 months worth of math. We have been skipping the activities, and just jumping forward to the checkpoints, which he consistently aces (he completed EPGY 2nd grade math over the summer...in 15 days...and is now at grade level 3.5 in their program). I had spoken with the guidance counselor on the phone last week, and she had said to go ahead and let him work through 2nd grade math, and then he'd start 3rd when he was done with it. (I think?? Isn't that what she said? Questioning myself now...)

We are waiting on his GEP update meeting this Tuesday to reflect changes due to now being in the virtual environment. I am hoping for interventions that include *at least* a subject acceleration in math, and the ability to work ahead in other subjects.

That's all background...and here's today's kicker:

I received a call from his teacher (this is the first time I've spoken with her) and she spent essentially the entire conversation saying "wait...what?!" about my vision for how this is going to go. Her experience says "kids can't work at their own pace" and "if he finishes math in December (for example) he'll get a zero in math in January and every month through the end of the year" and "kids can finish *a couple weeks* early, but not more than that" and "no, they won't send new material if he finishes what he has - that would cost money and he's only allotted a certain amount for the year." Also "don't get me wrong, I *really want* him to work at his level...I'm just telling you what my experience has been in the past."

Me: "Wow! Thanks so much for calling...I am *so glad* I heard all this before going into the meeting Tuesday. I'll call you when it's over and let you know what they say."

So...um...what do I do with that? I feel like now I need to be *so much more* prepared to fight. I thought this was a no-brainer. I thought this was K12's *thing* - to allow children to advance when ready...that's what the mommy forums say...that's what their "Advanced and Enrichable Learners" page says... Dude! What is going on here??

So, any advice? And BTDT? Especially in Florida??

Thanks a million...
Liz