Originally Posted by NotSoGifted
Most folks who post here seem to know that their child is gifted from the time the child is a toddler. I see a lot of threads asking if a two or three year old kid is gifted. I can understand that you can recognize a gifted kid when they are PG, but what about other kids?

I'm horrible at telling how intelligent my kids are or where they are supposed to be developmental-wise.

The only thing that I can tell is that my oldest seems more intelligent than my youngest and that they both seem less intelligent and more socially functional than I was at their ages.

I think that you have to have significant outside testing/observation to get an answer from people who have seen enough to know what they are talking about.

My DD10 is in one of the "gifted" programs for reading, but she is frustrated by math. I should get her IQ tested just so I can have some idea of where she is.

I've personally gotten better at figuring out intuitively who is going to test at IQ < 70 now that I've been interacting with them for a few years.

In my professional world, IQ < 70 = good legal case and financial success (for me and them).