I figured dd was sort of bright high-achiever type--I mean I was identified as gifted (but not well-served) and I always thought of myself as sort of a bright underachiever. Dd also didn't blow her teachers away because she really likes to observe and wouldn't attempt to do something until she was sure she could do it well, and was very compliant and teacher-pleasing. In retrospect her giftedness as a little kid (toddler-3rd gradeish) showed more at home with emotional intensity and extreme perfectionism. Academically I figured she was likely smart but doing so well because of enrichment in the home. I remember one of her very good friends (who I suspect is PG) was reading magic tree house books at 4 and dd wasn't doing that so my measuring stick was a little off. I would not have anticipated that she would have DYS scores or be such a strong candidate for a grade skip. I really underestimated her greatly, and am just happy that despite that she still has a love of learning.

dd#2 is a different story. She started walking the day after we adopted her at 10 months old and never slowed down. She was exhausting in every way and I figured she was smart but was too overwhelmed by getting through the day with her to question whether she was gifted or not. Many times she would say or do something and the adults would look at each other like, "Did she really just say/do that?" When she was 3 I finally made the connection. She is not any kind of math or reading prodigy--but she is absolutely some level of gifted. Waiting for her to turn 6 to take the WISC and consider a grade skip depending on results.