Most folks who post here seem to know that their child is gifted from the time the child is a toddler. I see a lot of threads asking if a two or three year old kid is gifted. I can understand that you can recognize a gifted kid when they are PG, but what about other kids?

I ask because my middle kiddo didn’t seem so sharp when she was younger. My eldest thinks it was downright mean for me to state, “This one is not college material; we don’t need to have a college fund for her.” And we did not establish a college fund for her until many years later (she is now 14, almost 15).

In my defense, I did not see her doing many of the things that made me think that the eldest, now 17, was bright. (We didn’t really think DD17 was gifted either, just a bit ahead of the average kid). We also had DD14 repeat 2nd grade when she switched from a private school to public school, though that was really for social reasons, not academic reasons. I should note that she is now in the “correct” grade per the public school birthday cutoff; the private school had a different cutoff date. Both DD17 and DD14 have been labeled gifted per the school based upon IQ tests (FSIQ > 130).

Has anyone else had the same experience?