http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...problem-solving-and-self-efficacy-part-3

I keep reading more positive things about gaming and I am glad that my 14-year-old son can enjoy playing and talking to other kids and young adults who share an interest in mmorpg games. They don't just talk about video games. They talk about the latest news and politics and all kinds of things. A lot of very smart kids are playing these games.

I am happy that my son is playing computer and video games. A brace makes it impossible for him to enjoy participating in physical activities and there is nothing in our small town for kids who can't do sports. He had to take a break from the musical theater he had been in since he was four years old because he couldn't be out of the brace long enough to do the rehearsals. He home schools and is not around any other kids. Even without the pain from the brace, the isolation would be torture without games.

I think playing video and computer games that required reading at age three is one of the reasons he was reading at a 5th grade level when he was 5 and it is probably the reason his friends were always several years older. Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh were some of his favorite games when he was younger.

My son does hear some bad language on some of his games but I have heard the local high school kids using worse language. I have a kid who enjoys verbal sparring and is not bothered by online bullying.

I am not sure how he does this but I often see him with some kind of game on his PS3 screen and an interesting article of some kind on his computer screen. He goes back and forth between playing and reading.