Ooooooo...nothing like a gaming thread to really bring out my inner nerd! My BIL has supplied us with a very VERY big assortment of strategy-type games. Here's a few of my favorites:

Carcasonne : very easy to adapt for kids. Only takes about an hour; involves building and claiming cities, roads, missions and farms - no war themes.

Ticket to Ride: again very kid (and not-interested-in-gaming family friendly). Involves collecting card "engines" to build most effecient train yo random destinations. Maybe takes 90 minutes tops.

EuroRails/RussiaRails: more complex than Ticket to Ride ; involves choosing wisest touted to collect and deliver resources. Not aggressively competitive (you mostly just do YOUR best and don't block others. Takes a few hours.

Killer Bunnies : fun but can be competitive and cutthroat (which led to a wildly entertaining and infamous screaming showdown between a few ADULT relatives a few years ago.

Seven Wonders: this is my new fav...involves collecting and buying appropriate resources, buildings, etc based on you "wonder" society. Goes quickly - 30 minutes maybe?

Settlers of Catan: got a day to waste? Build your most resourceful settlements while blocking out others.

Sigh...if only we had dome friends to play with (and unlimited FREE babysitting).

Sorry, maybe a little much.

My issue with online gaming is the mixture of adults of various maturities playing alongside kids. The language is foul ...and kids get bullied easily in these games.

Last edited by Evemomma; 08/30/12 10:22 AM.