Originally Posted by epoh
[quote=CCN]

It can be either slow - the child 'grows out' of having ADHD, which does happen, or things are happening that are 'abnormal' for lack of a better term - in which case the ADHD is life-long. Given that my husband still has ADHD as an adult, it's not likely my son will out grow his either.

Though there are many investigations of brain areas effected by ADHD, brain imaging has yielded inconclusive results with one specific deficit, abnormality or even a localized area of over/under stimulation in patients with ADHD.

I see that ADHD is a symptom itself of maybe even the slightest "quirks " in the brain. These may be a result of genetics, brain injury, overstimulation of the modern world, fetal stress, etc. Therefore, different treatments will work differently. Some kids do "grow out" of at least the criterian that any struggles they have impede their functioning

The brain is so complex that it cannot be examined/categorized/diagnosed with the same certainty as, say, a heart defect. There is so much we don't know.

Last edited by Evemomma; 08/08/12 09:47 AM.