Very interesting responses. Thanks. I do appreciate it. I take it no one has read, Healing Young Brains, because it has a similar list to what the NFT recommends and is back by science.

I'm not a scientist, though some males in my family are/were. I'm a historian/librarian. From a historical background, what the NFT said made some sense to me - we've been eating grains for sustenance, portability, availability, convenience (faster to cook pasta than to boil a chicken), and avoid contamination issues with food/drink. We don't live in an agrarian society anymore with the need for so many calories; we live in a digital age that is primarily sedentary or less active for most of us.

Thom Hartmann says the ADHD gene/Edison gene (which I think my son has - he has ADHD and my mother's side had a bunch of Edisons) is a highly adaptive gene, DRD4. The argument is that it's been around for 40,000 yrs and that it's been critical to humanity's development. The ADHD gene is tied to many artists, inventors, and innovators who carry the gene and is necessary for the future survival of humans.

I know it's not scientific, but I think my family carries the ADHD gene and that we're more susceptible to addictions than perhaps others. I've read that ADHD people have a much greater chance for substance abuse and other risky/negative behavior if the energy isn't channeled or something goes awry. As a parent, I'd do anything to avoid another member of my family being killed by drugs, drink, or smoking.

Is it possible that some of us are genetically wired to withstand only a certain amount of stuff (chemicals - acid/sugars/proteins, whatever) to our bodies and minds? Perhaps some of us are more sensitive to the environment and what we eat and drink than others - from a genetic perspective? I'm not a scientist, but I can tell you that this is true with me - and been the case for years.

Personally, I don't think our bodies have the immune/sensory systems to deal with the onslaught of chemicals in our food/environment and our bodies maybe cannot adapt to it, but I'm not a scientist. Yet I can say that since I grew up in the 70s/early 80s, the amount of additives, preservatives, sugars, and salt has exploded in our food/drink. It's only been within the last 20-30 yrs that we've gotten so much into our food/drink supply; and I only drink water and two cups of tea a day.