thanks for your insight, DeeDee. I have gone round and round on here in the past and appreciate people giving me another opportunity to air my concerns.

She does approach peers in other ways and can engage in imaginary play with them, BUT she would prefer if they just listen to her stories. I have to tell her to let her younger sister add her ideas to the story etc.

She has a very hard time following another child, but she was obsessed with another child in K and would follow her lead from time to time. I do see her bend a little to others suggestions, but it isn't her natural mode.

We do not feel that she listens that well, but are not sure if there is an issue of defiance, inattention or something else. Example: say she did something wrong and we are talking to her about it. What often happens is that she does not acknowledge that you said anything and then launches into her needs. Her 4 year old sister does not do this--things seem to get under her skin.

I'll keep an eye out for reciprocal conversation with a friend. She is HIGHLY VERBAL and her voice tends to dominate many situations.

My DD also reads a lot of nonfiction, mostly science, and seems to think everyone is going to be thrilled hearing about facts. I actually keep hoping she meets a friend who does like those things. She is friends with some sweet socially adept girls who are not gifted and while I think they are good for her in some ways, perhaps she just naturally takes over. These more flexible, kind girls really like her and I think they often tolerate a lot from her even though she can be a lot of fun.

Oh, she also can be obsessive and has rotating interests that she will focus on until I can't stand the sight or sound of whatever it is. She can sometimes "sell" these to her friends though since these are usually characters from stories or animals.

Last edited by TwinkleToes; 07/30/12 06:13 AM.