Hi,

My DD6 has a propensity to lecture, correct, and perform in social situations in a way that is sometimes uncomfortable for me because I worry about her social life. On the surface, she seems very social and her K teacher wrote that she was "well liked by students and teachers." Yet, as I watch her launching into lecture mode, I sometimes feel uneasy. Yesterday, her grandparents came over and she had found a beetle and wanted everyone to sit around and listen as she lectured about beetles etc. This is common and I have seen her in teaching and correcting mode with her friends in a way that also makes me a little uncomfortable. We had an evaluation in the past and the examiner focused on giftedness while admitting she has plenty of ADHD symptoms. She was an expert in ASD, and said that she did not think there were any signs of ASD, but then again, she only met with her one on one. She has some sensory issues that seem better after OT though she is still highly excitable and even shakes her hands when excited. She is always smiling and is very creative with a great imagination and a quick sense of humor with a love of sarcasm. So far, kids seem to really like her, but I see her making social blunders that her younger sister would never make. Most people just see a very outgoing confident kid. Maybe I am just looking at things under a microscope for no reason. I am just wondering if typical gifted kids (esp. talkative highly extroverted ones who love the spotlight) do this sort of thing. We are thinking of having her enroll in a theater / singing class or camp because she actually has talent in this area and seems very comfortable on stage. At home, she wants almost constant conversation with me, if you can call it conversation. She wants me to listen and watch what I consider lectures or shows all the time. I have an introverted streak and find this highly draining. Once she has more to do outside of the home I think that things will be easier, I am just trying to get a feel if typical kids do this and if we should continue to ride it out or run it all by an expert again. I just don't know other kids anything like her LOL

Last edited by TwinkleToes; 07/30/12 04:50 AM.