Well, after talking with DD's OT again I'm even more confused. She kept using the terms praxis and motor planning, but what she is describing sounds more like a lack of creativity or problem solving to me. An example she used was that if she is given a new toy/tool/object she can't figure out how to play with it, she has to be shown. She said she is so smart and has such a great memory that she tricks us in to thinking she can. Her example was to give her a bucket of water and a few little plastic animals and just let her go at it and see how or if she will play, thinking that she really couldn't play unless I showed her a few things to do first.

First, this sounds NOTHING like any praxis/motor planning that I've been able to find and if someone can direct me towards info regarding this I would be grateful.

Second, I see her play creatively with stuff all the time, however, it does usually relate to stories she has seen on tv or in books.

She also shows creativity with speech by saying phrases and then changing all the vowel sounds to the same thing (like all words will have the short a sound) or adding extra syllables to certain words at the end of phrases in a song, etc. I realize that is likely not part of motor planning, but it sounds like it goes with the same process the OT is talking about with figuring out new ways to play, except that's with words, not toys. Am I making any sense at all? I'm so confused.

We spent most of DD'S last session discussing this rather than her getting therapy and I still fail to see how this is motor planning. Help!

Mary