Originally Posted by master of none
I agree with you HappyChef. Doesn't sound like dyspraxia to me. Yet the description your OT gave does match dyspraxia. There are specific tests that trained OTs can do to find out for sure. Or, if you think she is doing just fine, then I'd skip it.

I agree with master of none. FWIW, with each of my children, we've had other parents/teachers/private professionals express concerns at one time or another that didn't seem to fit with what we saw in our children. Sometimes they were out in left field, sometimes they were onto something, and sometimes they were spot-on about something we just hadn't seen. Almost always they were looking at our child through *their* lens of experience, and there can be so many different reasons that a child acts a certain way or exhibits a type of specific behavior etc.

I think in this case, I'd ask more questions of your OT re her observations and comments. Also ask her to define specifically what she was suggesting (did she use the word "praxis", did she mean apraxia/dyspraxia, etc). If she has a set of concerns or observations that she's collected over time when working with your ds, I'd consider having another professional evaluate your ds if you can swing it with your insurance.

As I mentioned above, it doesn't sound like your ds is dyspraxic, but dyspraxia can be *very* different in how it impacts children and in how it impacts an individual across functionalities. My ds is a gifted artist - he has drawn pictures for fun since he was very very little, the type of pictures that make adults say "Wow!" He started building amazing Lego creations when he was not quite a year old. He was alert from day one - very alert compared to other babies we've known. There were signs of his dyspraxia at a very young age, but we (parents) never saw them because we only saw the side of things we noticed, and we didn't know to notice anything else (does that make sense?). None of our friends or family ever had a clue he was dyspraxic, and none of his early teachers did (preschool or elementary). We found out when he was 8 - when his teacher suggested he had ADHD. That was a suggestion that hit us out of left field and our first reaction was "no way" - and we found a ton of reasons why he didn't have ADHD online... and ultimately no, he doesn't have ADHD, but the teacher was seeing *something* and it led us to very valuable info about our ds.

Anyway, I always believe the #1 expert on any of our children is us (the parents). OTOH, people outside our family who spend time with our children may have valuable insight, so I wouldn't pass on the opportunity to try to understand what the OT was seeing.

Sorry I think I sounded a bit preachy or dramatic - didn't mean to! Problem is *I'm* clearly challenged with saying anything concisely lol!

Best wishes,

polarbear