Wow.

I definitely need to meet with her therapist to try and understand this because my DD doesn't sound like the kids you're describing, and I've not been able to google much info on apraxia/dyspraxia that does match her. Her balance issues are the OT's observations, not mine. She LOVES anything that is a physical challenge. We are going to enroll her in gymnastics as soon as we get a chance because she loves that sort of thing. She figured out how to do flips on her own, she loves balance beam type things and hanging from monkey bars. She can stick a landing like a gymnast. At the park, there are half-tires mounted to the ground and she jumps from one to the next better than kids noticeably older. This summer we have put her in the pool with an arm and chest float and she taught herself how to swim. She even jumps off the diving board and goes down water slides. She's so brave it scares me to watch her sometimes, but she ends up being really good at whatever she tries. I am completely unathletic, though, so anything would impress me!!

Her fine motor skills have always seemed advanced to me. She uses utensils well and her writing is, honestly, more legible than my husband's. She learned over 500 asl signs by 2 years old and could do a knob style puzzle when she was 8 months old. When we went to Disney World, she had just turned 2 and to keep her entertained in the stroller, we gave her a LeapPad (which has a touch screen and a very small stylus). Random people videotaped her 2 different times because they just couldn't believe what she was doing (totally weirded me out!). I didn't think there was anything out of the ordinary about it until we were getting comments multiple times a day about how they couldn't believe someone so small was using such a toy.

I'm genuinely not trying to brag, I just want you to understand why I'm confused.

Her therapist did tell me about a sand toy she was having trouble with. It is a spiral that you pour sand in the top and it comes out the bottom. She said she kept trying it over and over, but it wasn't working and she couldn't seem to understand why. She suggested to her that it was upside-down, so DD looked at it, flipped it, and it worked. That seems weird to me because she recognizes all the time when things are upside-down, sideways, or just out of place and says "Uh-oh! We have to fix it!"

Mary