Count us in as well. There have been a few other threads along this line in the last year or so, so dig through the history if the other folks don't show up here - one was labeled Stealth Dyslexia and the other was Full Assessment - LD.

Much of our history is there, but the short version for us is DD10 now entering 6th grade (skipped 2nd) has very similar issues. Voracious reader - 3-4 grade levels above current grade, but reading out loud is a struggle. Pretty good memory holds spelling word for the weekly spelling test, but no longer than that. Our school has been less than cooperative in othe areas, and she was technically not only at grade level, but near the top of her class and the writing struggles she had were chalked up mostly to poor attitude, personality and behavior (not that I would necessarily disagree with that assessment, but it's a little hard to tease out which comes first in this situation as the bad attitude now appears to be directly related to the dyslexia difficulties). So we went with private testing.

As mentioned elsewhere, we only managed to get a 504 through the school, since she is not functioning below grade level, the IEP was not considered an option. Our accomodations are basically the same as others - mostly more time, but also requested small group testing, keyboarding where possible. I'm considering adding the transcription software this year, but we are still trying to get a handle on what works best so far.

We did beginning Spanish through virtual school in 4th grade (2010-2011) and she made it, but really disliked it. Although as mentioned earlier the phonics rules are much more consistent in Spanish - she just couldn't get them to stick and couldn't keep straight the English rules from the Spanish rules. Now I did have several years of Spanish in high school and college, but am far from a fluent speaker, but was able to reinforce pronunciation and provide another voice and perspective. I also think the natural language learning abilities of the younger student kicked in and she did much better with pronounciation than spelling. She will probably not be able to move on to the next level in middle/high school, and will likely repeat the beginning level, but I tink that will be a feature of both the virtual school experience and the time between the classes. This class also was one of the first things she really had to stretch on, since it is a middle school targeted course and she was only 8.

No one else noticed anything was wrong. I kinda thought something was a little off since about 1st grade, but kept putting it off, thinking it would resolve developmentally. Couldn't really believe that my high performing reader was dyslexic, but couldn't figure out what it was, so we tested and that's exactly what it was. You are not alone.

Prissy