I have a ds14 who is dyslexic, CAPD, and has mildish ADD. He reads everything he can get his hands on, but has horrible spelling. His comprehension is excellent, although he too misses small words when reading out loud, and his pronounciation might be off.

The same word can be written 3 different ways on a page. He types all his essays and uses a computer for all tests other than math tests. His reading comprehension and writing skills are a real strength, but he is really bad at writing down homework or remembering assignments.

We did 18 months of phonics tutoring at age 6 and 7 - it brought up his reading from mid-kindergartern to chapter books. I would get this type of tutoring for your daughter.

Does she type her essays etc? It really helps to make them readable to others and fixes most of the spelling mistakes. My son managed to type "latter" for "later" all through one English paper, but the teacher was fairly understanding. You may want to obtain a speech to voice software like WordQ or Dragon Naturally Speaking so your daughter can get her thoughts down on paper without the dysgraphia getting in the way. I used to scribe for my son when he was little, and it helped alot. She may be able to get assistive technology for school and time and a half on tests - this really helps my son.

Good luck

Last edited by DMA; 07/06/12 11:36 AM.