On foreign languages: I've read that learning another spoken language is torture for kids with dyslexia. However, I'm starting to suspect that these kids with very high verbal abilities that are strong readers, are of a different type of language learner. I suspect that I would have had the same profile as my DD at age 9. (I do hear a voice while reading, though.) I found that taking Spanish in high school was pretty easy, and the fact that every letter is pronounced actually helped my spelling in English. I still will think of the Spanish pronunciation to get the vowels right (I just did it for 'pronunciation' for instance). I speak Spanish and Turkish fluently now, the first learned in school and the second through immersion. Both have advantages of regular grammar and vowel sounds.

As for getting help, I'd ask the tester what type of help is recommended and at what level intensity. There are a lot of programs out there serving a wide variety of needs, and lots of reading tutors. DD will be getting the adult version of Wilson tutoring (an Orton Gillingham derivative) because that's where her vocabulary is.

EDIT: One concrete recommendation from the neuropsych was to have DD listen to audiobooks of well-written books. We've taken to having books on the CD player in the car when we go on longer car trips. No idea if it's helping, but we're certainly enjoying it!

MumOfThree, this issue of a voice is interesting. It was suggested by the neuropsych who did DD's testing. DD describes reading as stepping into the page and experiencing the events. She has weak listening skills. I very clearly hear the words I read. Each and every poster on this board has a particular voice, and I suspect it would really throw me to actually hear any of you in person. Daniel Radcliffe, by the way, is the WRONG voice for Harry Potter.

Last edited by geofizz; 07/06/12 06:56 PM.