Hi OP,

I haven't been tested and have lived most of my adult life to date having no idea that I was any different to anyone else. I just found myself extremely frustrated with the world. The birth of my daughter, who is PG by IQ score and achievement, and the subsequent discovery that this was not unusual in my family made me realize that there are different ways of thinking and that I do actually think differently to many. Finding peers for my daughter put me in contact with a lot of gifted adults, all of whom - as someone else pointed out in an earlier post above - are individuals with incredibly diverse interests. Many of whom I have NOTHING in common with. Many of whom I adore.

In my own case I have a strong belief that if you had given me an IQ test before I had had my daughter I would not have scored as highly as I would now. Not because of an increase in ability, simply because of mindset. A traumatic upbringing and a complete conviction that I was not good enough meant that as soon as I had to actually think I figured whatever it was was too hard and so I just wouldn't try. Now I know that if I actually give it some thought - even for a moment - lots of things I previously dismissed as 'too hard' are actually very easy. So from my own experience I can see how IQ scores can move up and down depending on how you're feeling about your own capabilities.

In terms of meeting a girlfriend, well, I can only suggest getting out in the world. You connect with people or you don't - I ended up meeting my very smart husband through a temping job in a call centre early in our careers. We both now earn 6 figures. So don't discount anything.

Finally, being smart doesn't really mean much without kindness, authenticity and hard work - a small majority of the very gifted people I know don't score highly on these measures - I suspect because they've invested so much in being smart. What I have learnt? Be genuine, don't place too much stock in being smart as a measure of your value, work hard and make an effort to put yourself in places you think you'll find interesting - that will stand you in good stead.

"If children have interest, then education will follow" - Arthur C Clarke