erm, I read the "get a girlfriend" part as something like "I have my own reasons for wanting to know, but I don't wanna tell you what they are, so don't ask."

Which seems fair to me.

I have reasons for wanting to know about myself, but they're bad ones, so I'm not telling about them either. No matter how much I tell myself they're bad, I still wanna know... so maybe if I were a little more mature I'd go get tested wink

OP's questions at the end are aufully good questions, though I think the second one is probably "no"?

"surrounded" doesn't mean the same as "surrounded exclusively" --adding an element to diversity doesn't damage diversity. Jus' sayin' wink

I'm a bit curious why the dominant opinion (I've seen roughtly this question here and elsewhere before) seems to be "don't do it, it's not worth knowing?" There's a lot of things I'm curious about that aren't worth knowing, but the questions kinda burn my brain until I go looking. Why is this particular question so charged that it's worth saying "don't do it?" Eh, Eh, Eh?

Shutting up now, sorry for the boat rocking smile

-Mich

DS1: Hon, you already finished your homework
DS2: Quit it with the protesting already!