Originally Posted by Cawdor
Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
... not always, though

I will respectfully disagree, and I am talking about food that they are not allergic [ thankfully they do not have any ].. medical conditions are different than pickiness which is what is being discussed.

You are comparing apples and oranges.

I'm not, actually. How do you KNOW that these are foods to which every child is "not allergic?" You don't, yet you assert that the difference is clear to you. Perhaps you were making a statement only about your own children? That wasn't clear.

I certainly didn't dismiss your perspective or say that it is NEVER the case. I have had experience with kids for whom it is definitely a power struggle. That does not make the assertion invariably true. You disagreed that your statement was "not always" so.

I'm simply pointing out that food allergy (and, for that matter, food intolerance) are measurable, real phenomenon, some of them with measurable, real damage done to an individual thanks to repeated exposure. Feeding a celiac gluten is a recipe for many later health problems, some of them life-threatening, and a child with asthma attacks provoked by a latent food allergen can cause airway remodelling over time. I do live this every day of my life, and I assure you that there is no neon sign above a person's head which lists probable food allergens, nor one that says "this is an allergic reaction in progress, proceed accordingly." (I wish, actually. I'd also like one that flashes for contamination in food before I eat it, thanks. wink )

I mentioned specifically which foods are red flags for deeper examination in that particular context, and which are not. Food "pickiness" generally seems to center on color, texture, or bitterness (as in vegetables), and those things are not really cause for concern without much more overtly "allergic" symptoms, or other GI distress.

Those things tend to NOT have much overlap with foods to which IgE-mediated allergy are common, nor do they overlap much with foods that are commonly implicated in well-understood intolerances such as celiac sprue or lactose intolerance.

Food refusal is a common thing in very young food allergic children, and is even reasonably common in children school-aged who develop a food allergy (usually to fish, nuts, or crustaceans).

Food refusal is quite different from a food fetish; a child that will "only eat ____" is not at all the same as one that refuses to even touch fish or anything that has been on the same plate.

Do I think that most food pickiness in children is "allergy?" Of course it isn't. I think that true allergy presenting this way is relatively unusual. But far from unheard-of.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.