Another update: In addition to the 4 APs, the school has approved the independent study course with his tutor--linear algebra and multivariate algebra--and my son's calculus AP teacher will coordinate from the school's side.

Re the value of APs. What's the alternative? The honor level courses are less rigorous, and the fact is that AP courses are accepted for credit or placement at colleges. I think that many of the criticisms leveled at AP courses apply to college courses--multiple choice tests, lack of independent inquiry, etc.

In my son's case,

AP US History: he will learn to analyze primary sources.

AP Statistics: I was reluctant for my son to take this because the math is below calculus level, but my son's math teacher--whom I respect--said the course is useful because you learn to write about mathematics.

AP Chemistry: also non-calculus, but my son knows little about chemistry beyond the basics of atomic structure, valences, and so forth. He will learn these things in detail.

AP Physics: ditto about the math, but he will learn enough to be the basis of more rigorous courses while still in high school.

In general, tasking these courses plus the independent study course will keep his academic plate full. I hope not to hear, "I have no homework," or "I did it all at school."

And the following year, he will be able to take courses--tuition free--at the local Ivy.

As for well roundedness, my son is not a simple resume builder for the sake of college admissions. I think colleges see through that. I am proud to say he follows his genuine interests--cello and trombone (master of the bass clef), lacrosse, soccer reffing. Next year, he will be doing math tutoring. This summer he has been invited to participate in a biostat program at the local Ivy's school of public health, when he is not volunteering as a junior counselor at the local ecology summer camp. And next year he will be tutoring math through his school's math honor society.

My point is, I guess, is that it's possible to cobble together a decent program without acceleration or early college admission.