Originally Posted by latichever
We have had experience with this kind of resistance from the school,and know how to advocate for him, but why don't they want to support the exceptional? What's the problem?

The bell curve goes both ways, and if he was at the other extreme of exceptionality, they'd be throwing services at him.

In our state, gifted children, by statute, have the right to an assessment, but no right to services and programs. That's a tease.

Fortunately, we have the savvy and resources to fight this battle--but I think about the fact that not everybody does.

I understand and share your frustration over lack of services for gifted children, but I also know quite a few people who work with the children in our school district who have developmental challenges at the other end of the intellectual spectrum. FWIW, they don't have services just thrown at them (at least they don't in our district). Teaching resources and $ for support are limited all around, and most of the parents of students on *either* end of the spectrum here have to advocate (and fight) tremendously to get the needs of their children met. To be honest, at least here, it's tough to meet the needs even of the vast majority of kids who are right smack-dab in the middle of the bell curve.

polarbear