Originally Posted by Val
If the school digs its heels in, can your son take a very light load at school and do the AP courses online?

The problem we found with light load classes is that for a kid like this it is like torture. I'm not talking about some of the art classes (which aren't necessarily 'light' in terms of time commitment), my older son had to take basic geometry his first year of high school. Sigh.

Advanced geometry wasn't any more challenging and the teacher was a dragon who gave him a D for doing things like having the wrong sized margin, failed him on a test because he couldn't remember the date but got the answers correct, writing the answers before the working (seriously, he got a zero on that paper) because he was working out the answers in his head and wrote it down then went back and explained it. The work was easy but incredibly time consuming -- at least an hour and a half every evening spent writing out the questions.

So the only other option was basic geometry. California apparently requires that you do it even if you are capable of higher math. He used to text me in class saying "I am getting stupider sitting here, my brain is dribbling out of my ears". It was a complete and utter waste of time. He got 107% (with EC) for the year and wasted more than an hour every evening doing homework. This year, rinse, lather and repeat. He had to do algebra II for the same reason this year.

His school didn't want him to do two sciences in one year this year or last year. They finally agreed to let him do basic chem as a second science but his counsellor said that there would be many of the same kids in the chem class as last year's math class so he opted to do AP Euro instead which they were happy for him to take....??? He couldn't do a second science, but was allowed to do AP euro which has a ton of material to get through.