I have been watching, testing, posting, asking, poking forever...since my now 10 year old DD began pre-school and I met other children and realized that she did everything, not just some things quicker and better..

It has been a long long time coming and i always said that I would home school only as a last resort...but here we are.

I finally got out of the principal that her OLSAT was at 97% but he still will not give me the breakdown.

I did however, ask for the number of children who scored higher than her on the DRP for 4th grade this year and the number of children who scored higher than her on her state test. He gave me ALL the scores and let me do the Math.

There were two others who scored the same as her on the DRP in the district and one who scored a few points higher.

For the state test...not one child scored higher or the same. She was the top score by far.

I have asked for skips, I have asked for partial skips, I have asked for further differentiation. They keep telling me they are doing enough and she seems happy.

Meanwhile I am seeing a sensitive, compassionate little girl turn into a know-it-all, disinterested, and lazy pre-teen...

She has asked to be home schooled next year for fifth grade. I assume that I should be looking for at least 6th Grade material. She wants to be Clara in the Nutcracker this year. To do this I must drive her an hour to classes. This will be possible if she is home schooled.

I will be sending her little sis to reg Second Grade at a wonder K-3 Pub. School. She is happy there so far. Her teachers have recognized that she does not need the repetition that the other children need and let her sneak books during working time. She usually doesn't even do her work. We will see how her teacher handles this next year, but so far so good.

So, it is crazy for me to be going ahead with this home schooling. She and I butt heads and she is 10 and very independent. I'm hoping to find an on-line program and most of a curriculum that is independent and free of me.

She needs to know exactly what is expected of her every day and can't accuse me of expecting too much.

I'm hoping some of you have ideas of what i should use or how I should go about schooling her.

She has become quite the underachiever and would like to spend all her time making movies, powerpoint presentations, reading ballet blogs, or drawing and panting.

Unfortunately, although she is talented with the arts, I feel as though her strength lies in Math and Science.

She is reading college level but writes at grade level summaries...

She only outputs what is expected and nothing more...

She is very gifted. I wonder how to remedy this, and make her care again about learning things other than art....:)

Thank you so much for you advice and program ideas in advance.
I really love this forum!

If I can answer any questions about her to give you more info, let me know what would be helpful...Thank you so much..

DD's are just 10 and 6.5

Last edited by sydness; 06/04/12 01:41 PM.