My main annoyance with that article was the opening sentence and what was not said. The authors of the research paper that reported the 66% rise also said that they attributed that increase to better awareness by physician's.

Frances Kaufman published this study in 2001 that did a synthesis of the research on ADHD and the gifted. http://www.sengifted.org/archives/a...d-gifted-students-what-do-we-really-know

"n recent years, several authors (Baum, Olenchak, & Owen, 1998; Cramond, 1995; Freed & Parsons, 1997; Lind, 1993; Tucker & Hafenstein, 1997; Webb & Latimer, 1993) have expressed concern that giftedness is often misconstrued as ADHD and that the diagnosis of ADHD among the gifted population has run amok. We acknowledge for the purposes of this discussion that there are cases of mistaken diagnosis, although as of this writing, we have found no empirical data in the medical, educational, or psychological literature to substantiate the extent of this concern.

The lack of scientific data heightens our dismay over the wave of skepticism that appears to prevail about the existence of ADHD in gifted children"

When SENG launched their new campaign in January they said that due to recent research and literature that it was their opinion that ADHD was being mis-diagnosed in GT kids. I wrote to them starting in March asking for a list of the research and literature that led them to this opinion since I could find nothing new since Kaufman's paper in 2001.I did finally hear back after multiple email requests and was advised they are gathering the sources- I'm still waiting to hear back. smile

Kristine G